From sweeping coastal vistas to city streets, to rustic weathered barns and farmland for miles, there is certainly no shortage of scenery here in Southern New England. Winter, spring, summer or fall, the landscape of our region continues to serve as the perfect backdrop for romantic photos. With a little help from a few photographer friends, here are our picks for the best spots to shoot engagement sessions in Southern New England.
1) The streets of Newport, RI – The cobblestone streets, the architecture, the boats in the harbor and the cute storefronts all come together to provide a quirky and romantic setting. While the beaches, The Cliff Walk and Castle Hill Inn are all popular options when it comes to shooting in Newport, the downtown area should not be overlooked. See the photo below from Blueflash Photography if you need more convincing!
2) Second Beach, Middletown, RI – The signature lifeguard chairs and row boat, the dunes and the sandy little paths make this a favorite for obvious reasons. Photographer Sara Zarrella agrees, noting that the sun sets in the perfect spot in the summer for those “romantic beach images.”
3) Newport Vineyards, Newport RI – There are several great vineyard options on the Coastal Wine Trail, but the recently renovated Newport Vineyards are a great choice to mix up industrial, rustic and nature.
4) Buttonwood Farm, CT – Sara Zarrella alerted us to the beauty of this spot, where the sunflowers bloom for just a short period in the summer and when they do, they make for a postcard-worthy setting.
5) Colt State Park, Bristol, RI – Somewhat of a hidden gem compared to its Newport counterpart The Cliff Walk, this public park holds its own as a picturesque seaside backdrop.
And if you’re looking for a destination where there are photo opps aplenty, we’ll add Boston, Providence, The Cape & Nantucket to this list too!
For more ideas on engagement photo sessions, be sure to check out our resources section for photographer and venue recommendations.